NC House Republicans: Students, Teachers & Schools Denied Key Resources Due to Gov. Cooper & Democrats Holding Budget Hostage
Top Line Points
Gov. Roy Cooper and Democrats are holding the entire state budget hostage over their demands for Medicaid expansion.
Their political games are hurting students, teachers, schools and colleges who desperately need these vital resources in the budget.
From billions in school construction and education funding to millions in teacher raises and classroom supplies, the Governor and Democrats are putting politics over people.
Furthermore, by holding the budget hostage, the Governor and Democrats are denying tens of thousands of low-income NC students free lunches.
It is simply unfair and irresponsible to use students, teachers and schools as bargaining chips to force a partisan agenda through the legislature.
Key Education Benefits and Resources Being Blocked
- 3.9% teacher pay raise over the biennium.
- $1.43 billion over two years in increased education funding.
- $91 million in school safety measures.
- $4.4 billion over the next 10 years for school construction.
- $3 million to provide free school lunches for low-income students.
- $15 million in new funding for classroom supplies.
- Provides $150 per teacher in the 1st year and $200 in the 2nd year for teachers to purchase classroom supplies.
- $400 million for Community College construction and renovations.
- $632 million in capital projects for the UNC System.
- Continues N.C. Promise, giving students an opportunity to attend three state universities for only $500 a semester.
School Construction Funding Per County
Community College Construction Funding